JBS hit with OSHA fines
- The U.S. Department of Labor’s Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) has cited JBS Foods Inc. in Greeley, CO, for failing to protect their employees from exposure to the coronavirus.
- OSHA has proposed $15,615 in penalties.
- OSHA cited JBS for a violation of the general duty clause for failing to provide a workplace free from recognized hazards that have the potential to cause death or serious harm.
- The company also failed to provide an authorized employee representative with injury and illness logs in a timely fashion following OSHA’s May inspection.
- JBS responded to the penalties by saying they strongly disagree with OSHA’s citation. The company feels that the citation attempts to impose a standard that did not exist in March as they fought the pandemic with no guidance.
- JBS now has fifteen business days from receipt of the citations and penalties to either comply, request an informal conference with OSHA’s area director, or contest the findings.
The 115th National Western Stock Show postponed until January 2022
- The 115th National Western Stock Show has been postponed by one year and will resume in January 2022, according to the Western Stock Show Association Board of Directors and the National Western Stock Show management.
- Covid-19 inhibits the Stock Show from being held while complying with the health and safety guidelines that are necessary to protect Coloradans and all those who attend.
- The environment through the rest of the year is uncertain and consequently not reassuring enough to allow the event to take place without possibly compromising the health and safety of exhibitors, visitors, and the public at large.
- Spread of the virus is also a major concern with this cancellation.
- The Stock Show will return January 8th through the 23rd, 2022 with the grand opening of the historic Yards and Stockyards Event Center
Beyond meat is launching meat-free meatballs in grocery stores
- Beyond Meat originally partnered with Subway last year for their meatless meatballs, but grocery stores are now asking for the item.
- Over the past 52 weeks, demand has surged by 145 percent for the plant-based meatballs.
- The meatballs are made with pea protein, brown rise and Italian seasoning.
- Suggested retail price is $6.99 for a 12 pack.
- These meatballs mark Beyond Meat’s third new grocery product in the U.S. this year.
- Beyond Meat has a market value of $8.42 billion and has seen their shares rise 78 percent this year as of last week Friday.
Boxed beef prices
- Choice boxed beef: $217.21 (-2.68)
- Select boxed beef: $207.76 (+0.66)