Boxed beef hits record levels
- Boxed beef reached $293.37
- Just last week (the week of April 20th), this price increased $54.38
United States receives it’s first shipment of beef rom Namibia
- This shipment included prime cuts, chuck, blade and trimming.
- These exports come after 18 years of extensive negotiations between the US and Namibia.
Cattle on feed report
- Placements reported at 1.56 million head, down 23% from last year.
- These placements were the lowest for March since the series began back in 1996.
- Marketing’s reported at 2.01 million head, up 13% from last year
- These marketing’s are the second highest for March since the series began back in 1996.
MSGA joins other state cattlemen’s associations requesting investigation into cattle markets
- MSGA joined 22 other state cattle organizations alst week in sending a letter to US Attorney General William Barr, requesting a formal investigation by the DOJ into packer corruption, collusion, and manipulation of the cattle markets.
- This letter was prompted by the fire at the Tyson processing plant in Finney County, Kansas back in Aug. of 2019 and most recently, Covid-19. Both events caused major disruptions in the cattle markets.
Jennie-O closes operations at Willmar, MN plants temporarily due to Covid-19
- A pair of Jennie-O turkey store processing plants were closed in Willmar, MN after 14 employees tested positive for coronavirus.
- Close working conditions and incentives to stay on the floor despite systems, allowed the virus to spread through the plant and communities.