Mission Barns will now let the public try their new cultured bacon
- Cultivated meat maker, Mission Barns, is now offering consumers an opportunity to sign up for a chance to be one of 50 to 100 selected tasters to try bacon grown from real pork fat cells, no animal slaughter included.
- Cultivated proteins have yet to hit the market, as they haven’t been approved for commercial sale.
- Cultivated bacon is made when pork cells are taken from a pig, fed a mixture of nutrients and sugar to grow, and then they continue to grow and “fatten up” until a slice of bacon is formed.
- There are approximately 36 cultured protein companies across the globe, all working to make cultured proteins a commercial reality. These companies are making cultured meat ranging from seafood to chicken nuggets.
- When these cultured meat products will actually hit store shelves remains to be seen.
Brazil’s JBS, the world’s top meatpacker, posts better than expected Q2 results
- On Thursday, JBS posted second quarter net profits nearly twice as high as the average of analysts’ estimates after a strong performance of its beef and pork divisions in Brazil and the U.S.
- JBS showed a net profit of $629 million for the quarter.
- After this strong second quarter, the company has increased its consolidated net revenue to approximately 12.6 billion dollars, up 33%.
- According to JBS, the second quarter was highlighted by strong Brazilian beef exports to China, which increased 53% in dollar terms compared with the same period a year ago.
Chinese cities find coronavirus in frozen food imports, WHO downplays infection risk
- Two cities in china have found traces of coronavirus in cargoes of imported frozen food, according to local authorities.
- Local Chinese authorities have reported samples taken from the surface of frozen chicken wings imported into Shenzhen from Brazil and from the outer packaging of a frozen Ecuadorian shrimp sold in the city of Xian, have tested positive for the virus.
- Scientists and officials say there is no strong evidence that coronavirus can spread via frozen food.
- World Health Organization’s head of emergencies program, Mike Ryan, stated that people should not fear food, food packaging, or delivery of food.
- In addition to screening all meat and seafood containers coming into major ports in recent months, China has suspended numerous meat imports from various places, including Brazil, since mid-June.
Boxed beef prices
- Choice boxed beef: $210.95 (+1.86)
- Select boxed beef: $197.41 (+1.42)