African swine fever spreads
- Authorities in India have officially reported African swine fever to the World Organization for Animal Health after tests confirmed pigs on several farms in the far northeastern states of Assam and Arunachal Pradesh.
- The World Organization for Animal Health reported 10,920 pigs have been infected in both states with a mortality rate of 34 percent and a fatality rate of 88 percent.
- Poland has also reported new cases of African swine fever. As of June 15th, 23 pigs and one sow on a backyard farm were confirmed with the disease.
- In recent years, Vietnam has worked diligently to curb African swine fever, however a recent report indicated 4,000 pigs have been culled this year in Vietnam due to the disease.
USMCA goes into effect
- As of this morning, the U.S.-Mexico-Canada Agreement goes into effect. It has taken three years of negotiations and tariff disputes for USMCA to come about.
- USMCA could increase U.S. agricultural exports by about $2 billion. The trade deal is forecasted to increase gross domestic product overall by about $65 billion.
- S. agricultural exports to Canada amounted to $20.9 billion in 2019 and $19.2 billion to Mexico, ranking them No. 1 and 2 in sales.
- USMCA allows zero-tariff access to both Canada and Mexico for most major ag products, such as corn, pork, and beef.
Boxed beef prices
- Choice boxed beef: $206.97 (-1.39)
- Select boxed beef: $199.90 (-0.81)